What are the factors that can lead to High-risk Pregnancy?
In some cases, a pregnancy can become high risk due to pre-existing medical conditions that existed prior to conception. Furthermore, certain medical conditions that emerge during pregnancy can escalate the risk for both the mother and the baby. Beyond these factors, various other elements contribute to these complications:
- Maternal age: Mothers over the age of 35 are at a higher risk of experiencing a high-risk pregnancy. Therefore, it is advisable to plan for a child before this age to minimize the potential development of pregnancy-related risks and ensure a smoother pregnancy journey.
- Lifestyle choices: Your lifestyle choices, such as smoking cigarettes, consuming alcohol, and using illicit drugs, can significantly increase the risk of complications during pregnancy.
- Medical history: A prior medical history can also significantly impact your pregnancy. Conditions like chronic high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disorders, respiratory issues (like poorly controlled asthma), infections, and blood clotting disorders can all contribute to a high-risk pregnancy.
- Surgical history: Even your surgical history, particularly any prior uterine surgeries, including multiple C-sections, numerous abdominal surgeries, or procedures for uterine fibroids (tumors), can elevate the risks associated with pregnancy.
- Pregnancy complications: Complications that may arise during pregnancy, such as placenta previa, fetal growth restriction, and Rh sensitization, can pose increased risks for both the mother and the baby. It is crucial to consult with a gynecologist in Kolkata, particularly if you have a history of previous pregnancy issues or fall into a higher risk category, such as having multiple pregnancies. Top high-risk pregnancy doctors in Kolkata are well-equipped to provide the necessary care and monitoring. Maintaining a healthy diet and adhering to proper prenatal care in Kolkata are vital for ensuring the well-being of both the mother and the baby.
What things can be done to avoid high risk pregnancy?
To ensure a healthy pregnancy, it's crucial to take certain precautions. Here are some key guidelines you should strictly adhere to for a healthy pregnancy:
- Regular Prenatal Checkups: Frequent prenatal checkups are essential. These regular appointments allow your healthcare provider to closely track the health of both you and your baby. Depending on your specific situation, you may be directed to consult with specialized professionals, including leading high-risk pregnancy doctors, maternal-fetal medicine specialists, or genetics experts. For individuals facing a heightened risk of complications, these visits become even more essential.
- Maintain a Healthy Diet: During pregnancy, your nutritional needs change. You'll require increased amounts of folic acid, protein, calcium, and iron. A daily vitamin supplement may be necessary to address any deficiencies. If you have specific health concerns like diabetes, consult with your healthcare provider to ensure you're following the right dietary plan at a high-risk pregnancy clinic.
- Manage Weight Wisely: Proper weight gain is crucial for both your and your baby's well-being. It can also make post-pregnancy weight loss easier. Collaborate with your healthcare provider, especially if you are at greater risk of complications, to determine the appropriate weight gain for you. High-risk pregnancy doctors near you can provide specialized guidance if needed.
- Schedule a Preconception Appointment: If you're contemplating pregnancy, it's essential to consult your healthcare provider before conceiving. They might advise you to initiate a daily prenatal vitamin regimen with folic acid. Additionally, reaching a healthy weight before becoming pregnant is crucial. If you have any medical conditions diagnosed with problems during pregnancy, your treatment plan may need adjustment in preparation for pregnancy. Your gynecologist can also address the risk of genetic defects in your baby during your consultations.
By following these recommendations, you can enhance your chances of a full-term, healthy pregnancy, especially if you're classified as high risk due to issues that may arise from the pregnancy. Your healthcare provider, possibly one of the best gynecologists in Kolkata, can provide special monitoring and care throughout your pregnancy to ensure the well-being of both you and your baby.
What special tests might be required while high risk pregnancy care?
Depending on the circumstances and your individual risk factors, your gynaecologist or high risk pregnancy specialist in Kolkata may recommend the following prenatal tests and procedures:
- Specialized ultrasound: If there are concerns about your pregnancy, a specialized ultrasound may be recommended. This high-frequency sound wave imaging technique can be used to closely examine the development of the baby in the uterus, focusing on any atypical developments.
- Invasive genetic screening: Your pregnancy specialist in Kolkata might suggest procedures like amniocentesis or chorionic villus sampling (CVS). Amniocentesis involves withdrawing a sample of amniotic fluid, which surrounds and protects the baby in the uterus. Typically performed after the 15th week of pregnancy, it can identify certain genetic conditions and serious neural tube defects or brain/spinal cord issues.
- Cervical length ultrasound: To assess the risk of preterm labor, your healthcare provider might use ultrasound to measure the length of your cervix during prenatal appointments in North Kolkata.
- Prenatal cell-free DNA (cfDNA) screening: This advanced screening procedure involves extracting DNA from both the mother and the fetus from a maternal blood sample. It allows for the screening of fetal DNA to detect an increased risk of specific chromosome problems.
- Lab tests: Routine lab tests are essential. Your healthcare provider will screen for urinary tract infections, sexually transmitted diseases, and infectious diseases like HIV and syphilis, ensuring the well-being of both mother and baby.
- Biophysical profile: A fetal ultrasound, in addition to fetal heart rate monitoring (nonstress test), might be recommended to assess the well-being of the baby. This test provides valuable information about the baby's health and development.
- Prenatal diagnostic tests: Tests such as amniocentesis and chorionic villus sampling carry a small risk of pregnancy loss. It's important to have a discussion with your gynaecologist or high-risk pregnancy specialist in Kolkata to weigh the potential risks and benefits before deciding on these tests.
These specialized tests and screenings are crucial for ensuring the safety and well-being of both mother and baby, especially when there are risk factors for a high-risk pregnancy in Dum Dum, Salt Lake, Rajarhat, Madhyamgram or other areas of Kolkata. Seeking regular prenatal care and consulting with your healthcare provider throughout your pregnancy is essential for a healthy and successful pregnancy.
Reach Out to the Best High Risk Pregnancy Doctors in KolkataIf you are facing any complications during your pregnancy, it may be the right time to seek help from Sparsha IVF, a reputable IVF and pregnancy center in Kolkata, West Bengal. We have a team of specialized doctors, including experienced gynecologists and high-risk pregnancy specialists, who are well-equipped to handle high-risk pregnancies with a track record of successful outcomes.
Our experts are highly trained in gynecology, obstetrics, and infertility, and they have extensive experience in managing complex cases that can lead to high-risk pregnancies. This expertise makes Sparsha IVF the trusted choice for expectant parents who are dealing with factors that increase the risk of complications during pregnancy.
High-risk pregnancies come with their own set of challenges, but women can find reassurance in the fact that expert care is readily available to support them throughout this life-changing journey. Dr. Debalina Brahma, the medical director of Sparsha IVF, is committed to providing comprehensive, compassionate, and specialized care for high-risk pregnancies. This commitment ensures that expectant mothers receive the attention and care they deserve, allowing them to focus on the joy and excitement of welcoming their new baby.
At Sparsha IVF, we prioritize providing you with thorough knowledge about your condition and offering the necessary emotional and mental support for a safer pregnancy journey. Our doctors will empower you with the information you need to make confident decisions and achieve the desired results. We understand that facing a high-risk pregnancy can be daunting, but with our guidance and care, you can navigate this challenging phase with confidence and hope.